Laura from Loved By Laura has to be one of the sweetest ladies in the bloggersphere right now and she was kind enough to answer a few of my questions over the weekend, so I really hope you get to know her a little better today!
Which three words would you use to best describe your blog?
Is it cheating to say Loved by Laura? That's it in a nutshell!
What prompted you to start your blog, and are there any posts you're super proud of?
I'd been in somewhat of a funk. I had a close knit group of friends but as babies and other responsibilities came into the mix is became harder to get together. When we did manage it, talk often centred around motherhood, something I'm not quite ready for yet. I really missed being able to have a properly girly chat about the simple, uncomplicated things in life that still interest me, like the latest beauty discovery, a new recipe or a fitness class I'd tried, or even to be able to say 'hey, anyone free this afternoon?' and be off having a little adventure within two hours!
I'd been reading other people's blogs for years so eventually I plucked up the courage to start my own. It's probably the best decision I've ever made!
Through my blog I've discovered this whole amazing, supportive community that I never knew existed and have been lucky enough to make some firm friends 'in real life' as a result of it all too. My friends 'before blogging' have been very understanding and encouraging about it; I now consider myself lucky enough to have two awesome circles of friends.
I'm proudest of the posts which have helped people, whether it's how to make custom URLs in Blogger, a kitchen hack or how to make a really impressive looking meal that's actually really simple! Here are a few of my favourites:
- 4 Things You Can Do In Blogger That I Wish I'd Known Sooner
- Kitchen Hacks | How to make coodles without a spiralizer
- Eat Good To Eat Bad! | Lemon & Lime 3 Ways
- Pinterest for Blogging | 11 ways to pin like a pro
Name three things that have made you happy recently.
- I went to see my parents on Sunday and was surprised at the door by two adorable new puppies who nearly bowled me over. My parents lots their 14 year old dog a few months back and it was great to see these two balls of mischief making them smile again. Plus playing with puppies is up there on the list of ideal days for me!
- The return of the Great British Bake Off. I actually wake up thinking 'ooh it's Wednesday: Bake Off tonight!'
- I just found out that I got shortlisted in the #bloggersblogawards Up & Coming Lifestyle category. I'm completely over the moon right now and still can't quite believe it.
Your recipe posts never fail to make me feel incredibly hungry! What is your favourite think to make and your favourite thing to eat?
Oh thank you! Hands down the most fun thing I make is duffins, which are a cross between doughnuts and muffins. They are so easy to make and you get covered in butter and sugar. The only thing is I can't make them too often as they are literally butter and sugar!
I love to eat anything made by my husband. Not only does he make some killer dishes, but food tastes so much better when someone else has gone to the effort for you.
You're hosting a dinner party and you've invited three people you really admire. Tell us a little about them and why they inspire you.
- Rich Roll - I listened to his book Finding Ultra a while back, which documents his journey from obesity to ultra marathon/iron man success. He's an amazing inspiration of what can be achieved if you only decide to take that first step.
- Mary Berry - I'll be honest here, I just want to chat to her about food!
- Angelina Jolie - I know she's not everyone's cup of tea, but I really admire her for doing exactly as she wants to and not being afraid to change as she grown into herself. I bet she has some amazing stories to tell...
Name your three favourite beauty products of the moment.
- Soap & Glory Brow Archery - the perfect colour and so easy to use.
- Dusty Girls Natural Mineral Blush in 'Pink Ladies' - I feel like Snow White every time I use it.
- My Little Beauty Summer Sorbet - it's an aftersun but has the most delicious candy smell, so I have been using it as a scented moisturiser instead. It's also really refreshing in muggy weather.
What does your perfect weekend look like?
Saturday would be some kind of fun day out with my girlfriends; maybe an activity of some kind or a bit of pampering before putting the world to rights over great food and a cheeky cocktail or two. Sunday would be a lay in with my hubby and the cats, brunch, a bit of baking and then movies. If I can stay in PJs all day, even better!
If you could only keep 5 possessions, what would they be and why?
Assuming that pets/people don't count (because they'd always come first!):
My wedding ring, phone, laptop, Vitamix and camera. So basically ALL gadgets that keep me blogging!
- Quick Fire Round -
Are you an early bird or a night owl?
Sweet or savoury?
Summer or winter?
Currently listening to?
Jenny Purr's Make It Happen Podcasts - so inspiring
Lots - I'm a bit of a TV and movie junkie! Pretty Little Liars / Agent Carter / True Detectives to name a few
Nothing! I've been struggling to get into anything recently. All suggestions welcome, I need a big epic novel/series to get stuck into...
Your three favourite blogs of the moment?
There are SO many to choose from, but I always love these!
Cider with Rosie - she's just got married and I've loved reading about how she's settling into married life, just as much as the run up to the wedding
The Elle Next Door - Ellie is hilarious and the only youtuber I regularly tune in to watch
Style Lingua - whether it's fashion, travel or general musings I always love reading what Carolin has to say
* * *